Monday, June 09, 2008

Elijah the animal lover!

So, Xander came running over to me this morning saying "Mom! Look at Elijah!!" And just then Elijah came around the corner and showed me a mouse he was holding!! And it was dead! Not rotten or anything, just freshly dead (not that that really helps)!! And he was so proud!! He was holding it so carefully and sweetly! So, I called Jordan over and he hurried and grabbed the mouse from him and got rid of it. So, I take Elijah inside to wash his hands really well. And he is just so sad that Dad took his "pet" away. So, he finally stops crying when we get back outside, but he starts looking around saying "Where my pet go?"
Anyways, in the process of looking for his missing pet, he finds an injured wasp crawling around on the ground and sets his hand down, so it'll crawl up on his arm.
He comes over and shows me that it's just crawling around on him, so I tell him that we don't play with dead animals or wasps, and I flick the wasp off. Then Xander decides he should put it out of it's injured misery, and squishes it. Needless to say Elijah was not a happy camper that we wouldn't let him play with any "pets". He was so sad! But, he was so sweet to both of them!! It was cute. I often find him digging in the dirt trying to find his snake pets, too. Why he picks my least favorite animals to play with, I don't know. Where's a cat or dog when you need it?